Investing in Girls’ Education
We believe that investing in and monitoring the success of girls’ education in Haiti is crucial to the overall success of our GROW (Girls’ Right to Opportunity Worldwide) program. Educated girls are uniquely positioned to have the maximum impact on their overall community.
Donate now to support GROW and your donation will be matched dollar for dollar by a generous anonymous donor! Every bit helps, and 100% of your donation goes to fund tuition, books, uniforms, and whatever is standing in the way of an education for girls in need, wherever they are.
Educated girls help grow the economy. Educated women reinvest an average of 90% of their income back into their families and their communities – their male counterparts on average reinvest only 30%.
- A single year of primary school increases a woman’s lifetime earnings by 10-20%. Each year of secondary schooling increases a woman’s lifetime earnings by 15-25%
Educated girls have healthier children, and are healthier themselves. A woman with six or more years of education is more likely to seek prenatal care, assisted childbirth, and postnatal care, reducing the risk of maternal and child mortality and illness.
- The child mortality rate in La Gonâve, Haiti is 20%. By educating the women on the island, we can change that number to 10%.
- An educated mother is 50% more likely to vaccinate her children against preventable disease.
- For every 1,000 women who receive an education, there are 2 less maternal deaths per year.
- Educated women get married later, have less children, are less likely to become victims of sexual assault and have a significantly lower incidence of sexually transmitted infections like HIV.
It is truly a Gift That Gives MoreTM. Educated girls raise the next generation of students. The child of an educated woman is more likely to receive an education themselves.