October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month: Here Are 6 Ways to Help For $10 or Less
October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month, an important designation that helps raise awareness about the ongoing need for animal adoptions in shelters all around the country. Visit your local shelter to add a furry friend to your family, or visit our One Picture Saves a Life gallery to see some amazing animal transformations and browse adoptable pets.
However, not everyone can or should take on the responsibility of adopting a new dog, either because of allergies or other health issues, a lifestyle that doesn’t currently allow them enough time to give these social creatures the attention they deserve, or simply because they already have all they can handle.
You can still be involved! Even if you can’t provide a permanent home for a shelter dog, there are plenty of other ways you can help the animals or the caretakers who look after them while they’re waiting to be adopted.
Here are six easy and effective ways to help protect and nurture a shelter dog today:
1) First, feed them. Food is one of the largest expenses for rescuing and rehabilitating dogs. A nutritious feeding program is an essential part of establishing and maintaining the dog’s health. Our Signature Program Rescue Bank feeds thousands of animals annually through our streamlined, food bank-inspired structure.
2) Help vaccinate them. A Shot At Life provides life-saving vaccines for dogs around the country, a critical preventative care step that protects them and other dogs within the shelter system.
3) Photograph them. Are you a budding shutterbug? 80% of animal adoptions start with a compelling photograph. Become a volunteer photographer at an animal shelter through our One Picture Saves a Life Signature Program by registering for special trainings and volunteer opportunities here.
4) Help out with shelter remodeling efforts! Rescue Rebuild, another one of GreaterGood’s Signature Programs, funds much-needed shelter renovation projects around the country.
5) Help animals where it’s need most for as little as $1. Our Help Animals Now Gift That Give More™ improves the health and welfare of shelter animals everywhere. Whether the current need is for vaccinations, shelter renovation projects, or innovative ways to relieve anxiety and fear in rescued animals, GreaterGood.org will make sure your donation goes towards the initiatives with the most urgent funding needs.
6) Lastly, if you can provide a loving, but temporary home for a dog, please contact your local shelter about fostering opportunities.
Please share this post with the dog-loving friends and family in your life!