The 10 Best Things YOU Made Happen for Pets in 2017
In 2017, GreaterGood.org celebrated 10 Years of Giving Where It Matters. Here are our 10 favorite things YOU made possible last year:
1. Uno gets adopted after taking a Wing’s of Rescue flight, funded by GreaterGood.org. Uno was in a shelter in Puerto Rico with a 95% euthanasia rate. It didn’t take long for this cutie to get adopted after touching down in an area of the US in desperate need of adoptable pets! Read Uno’s story here.
2. YOU saved little Sally kittie from certain death by supporting our Rescue Bank feeding program. Sally wasn’t lucky enough to be born into a situation where the dream of being adopted into a loving family was an option. Instead, she was born on the streets and deserted and left to fend for herself. The streets were not kind to Sally—she was weak, scared, cold and left to wonder where the humans she so longed for were. Where was her hero? Sally’s forever home was nowhere in sight, and everything seemed hopeless. Learn about Sally’s triumphant happy ending here!
3. GreaterGood.org’s Rescue Rebuild partners with Miranda Lambert’s MuttNation to greatly increase adoption rates! “As a leader in supporting the animal rescue community, partnering with MuttNation and The City of Lindale was a natural fit for our organization, as well as everyone involved,” said Bryna Donnelly, Director of Rescue Rebuild. “Thanks to our network of generous donors, volunteers and MuttNation, we were able to make real change happen for rescues throughout the region.” Learn more about the build and see stunning before/after pics here.
4. The Jackson Galaxy Project joins forces with GreaterGood.org to change the lives of animals and people. As part of the marriage with GreaterGood.org, The Jackson Galaxy Project will work to create Pet-Friendly Domestic Violence Shelters — something that scarcely exists. Learn more here.
5. National Feed a Rescue Pet Week: Feed 3 Million Rescues! – YOU helped us reach our goal to feed 3 million rescue pets during our first annual National Feed a Rescue Pet Week. Learn how you can feed shelter and rescue pets all year long here.
6. GreaterGood.org’s Rescue Bank provided food for the rescue of over 430 animals saved from a hoarding situation. On April 12, Habersham County Department of Animal Care and Control served a search and seizure warrant of the property in response to a barking complaint and to conduct a welfare check. It was at this time that officers found the animals in deplorable living conditions, with many having no access to clean water. Learn more about the rescue here.
7. With your help, over 1,711 pets got a second chance (this number only grew as the unprecedented hurricane season arrived). Funded by GreaterGood.org (thanks to YOU), in partnership with Freekibble.com, Wings of Rescue transported over 1,711 pets on numerous Freekibble Flights to Freedom from high intake shelters to partners who have space for adoptable pets! These fabulous shelter pets’ lives are only at stake because of lack of space in shelters. Learn more here.
8. Our Rescue Rebuild program partnered with RedRover’s Safe Housing program to build housing for pets at women’s shelters. Reports have shown that many domestic violence victims delay leaving an abusive situation out of concern for their pets. When these women are permitted to bring their pets to shelters with them, the will be more likely to leave a violent relationship. Learn more about our efforts here.
9. With your help, we strengthened the front lines against animal cruelty! Officers on the front lines received training on topics include investigating puppy mills and animal fighting; recognizing and investigating animal cruelty; handling interviews, warrants and evidence collection; and interpreting and applying animal protection laws for rescue and criminal prosecution. Learn more here.
10. Thanks to all of YOU, this #GivingTuesday blew all others out of the water for GreaterGood.org! We set out to break last year’s record of 4.1 million meals to hungry shelter and rescue animals. You blew it out of the water. YOU provided 6,693,200 meals for homeless pets, far exceeding our goal of 5 million meals! You made it possible for over 6.7 million animals in shelters and rescues to be fed. That’s a lot of happy bellies! See what other records you toppled here!
by Jim Kober, January 8, 2018