Information Collection and Use
Greater Good Charities is the sole owner of the information collected on this site. Greater Good Charities does not sell or rent your information to third parties. Greater Good Charities collects information from our users through donation forms and email subscription forms.
We also utilize third party cookies to improve user experience. You can opt-out of cookies at any time by clicking below:
We use the data you provide to us for a variety of purposes. As an international nonprofit, GGC’s activities and interactions with Donors, Volunteers, and Recipients include fundraising, program advertising, grant making, and numerous other forms of engagement. Ultimately, it is you working with us that makes all the good being done possible!
These are the main reasons why we collect and use data about our donors and other users:
- To show you nonprofit program opportunities that are relevant to you and to improve your experience on our site
- To provide the services to those programs you chose to support
- To carry out marketing analysis and send you communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law
- To enable us to acknowledge Donors and show advertising on our sites.
Below you can find the details of what we do to protect your privacy. This policy covers, among other topics:
- Information about your rights and our obligations
- Clarity about our dealings with you and transparency about how we collect and use your personal data
- Commitments on how we protect your personal data
- Commitments on how we will facilitate your rights and respond to your questions.
We will continue to examine how we can provide more clarity to our users about our use of data.
Personal Identifiable Information is any information about you by which you can be identified. This can include information such as:
- your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile number;
- debit or credit card details;
- information about your device (such as the IP address, which is a numerical code to identify your device that can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based); and
- information relating to your personal circumstances and how you use our sites and services.
Who We Are and How To Contact Us
What Personal Data We Collect and How We Use It
We collect personal data, including some PII, when you sign up for our services and when you browse or donate on our sites. This information is used to provide our marketing and programs information upon which our organization may plan and act on behalf of our nonprofit activities.
Greater Good Charities uses Fundraise Up as an online payment system. Donor’s information is saved in the Fundraise Up system on behalf of Greater Good Charities. Fundraise Up neither uses this information in anyway nor shares it with any other party.
When making a donation, the information collected may include:
- Your name;
- Your email address;
- Your phone number;
- Your mailing address;
- Your donation designation;
- Your credit card information;
Donors may choose to make a donation as a gift, in memory of someone, or in honor of someone. The gift recipient information is shared with the Greater Good Charities only if the donor chooses, otherwise the system will not share the information with the organization or any third party. No data will be saved or stored.
Donors may choose to send an email to a friend regarding a listing on any of the catalogue checkout pages. The email is considered a private communication between the donor and the friend and Greater Good Charities will not be notified of this communication. No data will be saved or stored.
Third Party Intermediaries
Greater Good Charities uses Stripe Payments as a payment gateway for donations. Stripe does not share or use PII for any secondary purpose.
Greater Good Charities uses PayPal as a payment processor for some donations. PayPal does not share or use PII for any secondary purpose.
Email List Subscription
You may subscribe to Greater Good Charities’ email newsletter via a form on the Greater Good Charities website. Opted in names will receive periodic newsletters from Greater Good Charities and may opt-out at any time. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to third parties.
SMS Text Subscription
GGC web sites takes every precaution to protect our users’ information. When users submit personal information via the web site, your information is protected both online and offline.
When our registration/order form asks users to enter Personal Identifiable Information (such as credit card number), that information is encrypted and is protected with the best encryption software in the industry – SSL. While on a secure page, such as our order form, the lock icon on the Web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to unlocked, or open, when you are just ‘surfing’.
While we use SSL encryption to protect personal information online in our Payment System used by various organization, we also do everything in our power to protect user-information off-line. All of our users’ information, not just the Personal Identifiable Information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to Personal Identifiable Information. All information is stored in password-protected accounts.
Supplementation of Information
We do not use any supplemental information and are purely relying on the information that you provide us for your transactions.
Correction/Updating Personal Information
If your personal information, including any PII, changes (such as your zip code), you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to change or delete your information.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter or other communications, you may opt-out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication or by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you no longer wish to receive text messages, please reply STOP.
Other Site Visitors:
- your IP address - a numerical code to identify your device and which can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based;
- your browsing history of the content you have visited on our sites, including information on how you were referred to our sites via another website; and
- details of your devices, for example, the unique device ID, unique advertising ID and browsers used to access our content.
We will not collect special categories of data - such as information about your race, political opinions, religion, health or sexual orientation - unless you have chosen to provide that information to us.
Unless otherwise provided for as above, Greater Good Charities is the sole owner of the information collected on this site. Greater Good Charities does not sell, share, or rent your information to third parties without first informing you and receiving your permission to do so. Greater Good Charities collects information from our users through donation forms and email subscription forms.
Posting comments on our sites
When you post information on a discussion board or comment publicly on one of our sites, the information you post and your username are publicly accessible. This information can be viewed online and collected by other people. We are not responsible for the way these other people use this information. When contributing to a discussion, we strongly recommend you avoid sharing any personal details, and especially information that can be used to identify you directly such as your name, age, address and name of employer. We are not responsible for any consequences or damage resulting from you publicly revealing your Personal Identifiable Information that you post in our online community or other public pages of the site.
How We Collect Personal Data, Including PII
We collect personal data when you:
- become a donor, register for participation in a GGC program or activity, or engage on our sites for other purposes;
- contribute to fund and support Greater Good Charities as an organization;
- attend our events;
- enter our competitions and surveys;
- post in our online community;
- sign up for marketing communications;
- use mobile devices to access our content;
- access our sites, through cookies and other similar technology; and
- by contacting us via email, social media, or similar technologies or when you mention us on social media.
How and why we use your personal data
We use personal data, including PII, collected through our sites and other contact instances for a number of purposes, including the following:
- To provide the services you sign up for, such as receiving and granting the donation you make. We also use the such data for related internal administrative purposes - such as our accounting and records - and to make you aware of any changes to our services.
- To send marketing communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law.
- To personalize our services (for example, so you can sign in), remembering your settings, displaying personalized advertising as well as measuring how effective our online adverts are, recognizing you when you sign in on different devices and tailoring our marketing communications based on what you read on our sites.
- To carry out marketing and donation analysis, for example we look at what you have viewed on our sites what products and services you have bought (including what you have looked at and what products or services you have bought, donated to or interacted with on our other sites) to better understand what your interests and preferences are, and to improve our marketing by making it more relevant to your interests and preferences. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis by going into your account to the tab “Emails and marketing”.
- To improve our marketing communications, we use a similar technology to cookies to confirm whether you have opened a marketing email or clicked on a link in the email.
- For statistical purposes such as analyzing the performance of our sites and apps and to understand how visitors use them.
- To respond to your queries and to resolve complaints.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- With respect to the Greater Good Charities’ various Programs, program-specific data is collected in order to enable an individual’s program participation and to analyze and manage the success of the Program with our sponsors, partners and service providers.
- Greater Good Charities utilizes third party services to store selected, non-sensitive donor, volunteer, and participant information. This never includes credit card information. In some cases, third party platforms analyze anonymized and aggregated data to improve their services.
Access permissions that we ask from users of any GGC or third-party app
In the event GGC, or one of its service providers, offers an app for use by the public, we ask for the following permissions to access particular functions of your mobile device:
- For the Android version, we ask for permission to access your contact details/profile on your mobile device, so that we can add or find your account on your phone. We also ask for permission to access the storage on your mobile device, so that you can store and read content when offline.
- For the iOS version, we ask for permission to save pictures to your photo library, so that you can save pictures that you find in our articles on your mobile device.
Legal grounds for using your personal data
We will only use your personal data, including PII, where we have a legal basis to do so. We determine the legal justifications based on the purposes for which we have collected and used your personal data. In every case, the legal basis will be one of the following:
- Consent: For example, where you have provided your consent to receive marketing emails from us. You can withdraw your consent at any time. In the case of marketing emails you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email or through your email preferences.
- Our legitimate interests: Where it is necessary for us to understand our readers, promote our services and operate our sites and apps efficiently for the creation, publication and distribution of news, media and related journalistic content both online and in print form, globally. For example, we will rely on our legitimate interest when we analyze what content has been viewed on our sites and apps, so that we can understand how they are used. It is also in our legitimate interest to carry out marketing analysis to determine what products and services may be relevant to the interests of our readers. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis in your account in the “emails and marketing” tab.
- Performance of a contract with you (or in order to take steps prior to entering into a contract with you): For example, where you have purchased a subscription from us and we need to use your contact details and payment information in order to process your order and deliver your subscription.
- Compliance with law: In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to use or keep your personal data, including any PII.
Updating your personal data and your profile page on our sites
When you register for an account with GGC, you have access to a profile page. Under “edit profile” you can review what information is public when you comment on our articles, or if people look up your profile. You can also update your information or provide extra information if you want.
You may also update your marketing preferences in the “Emails and Marketing” tab in your account.
Greater Good Charities’ “Do Not Track” Policy
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” (DNT) features. Many of these features, when enabled, inform the website you are visiting that you wish not to be tracked. Those sites and or the third-party content on the site may continue with activities one might view as tracking, regardless of your expressed preference, depending on the site’s particular privacy practices. Absent a common approach to interpreting the DNT signal, Greater Good Charities does not currently respond to the browser DNT signal when you use our site and services. You have choices regarding the use of information by third parties and may pursue them with those entities.
Using Children’s Personal Data
Greater Good Charities’ “Child Online Protection” Policy
We do not aim any of our programs or services directly at children under the age of 13. Some of our services may have a higher age restriction and this will be shown at the point of registration.
Please contact GGC at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns regarding the potential collection of your child’s information.
Personal Data That We Receive About You From Other Organizations
Adding to or combining the personal data you provide to us
When you sign up to our programs and events, we may add to the personal data you give us by combining it with information shared with us by other trusted organizations. This includes, for example, information about the region that you are located in. We may also add information to improve the accuracy of your address when needed. We may also obtain information from partners whose offers we include in some of our marketing communications and we use this information to ensure that we do not send you irrelevant marketing.
We also use information on the content you have viewed on our sites and apps and your interaction with the content to add you to groups with similar interests and preferences, so that we can make our online advertising more relevant. Sometimes we use data about your interests or demographics that third parties have collected from you online to add to these groups. You may opt-out of cookie tracking by clicking the button at the top of this page.
Information shared by event partners
When you register or participate in a GGC event organized by an event partner, your registration data may be shared with us by the event partner.
Security of Your Personal Data
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational controls to protect your personal data against unauthorized processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. You are responsible for choosing a secure password when we ask you to set up a password to access parts of our sites or apps. You should keep this password confidential and you should choose a password that you do not use on any other site. You should not share your password with anyone else, including anyone who works for us. Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our site while still in transit and so you provide it at your own risk.
Who we share your personal data with
If you are participating in one of our events hosted by an event partner, we may share your personal data, including PII, with that partner for event administration purposes.
Sometimes we may receive a letter, email or another form of communication from you that we consider to be significant to the history of the GGC. We may decide to use or share this with our donors, partners and or our wider GGC community members, either in whole or in part.
We do not share your personal data with other people or organizations that are not directly linked to us except under the following circumstances:
- We may share your data with other organizations that provide services on our behalf such as dealing with online payments and other forms of payment processing, i.e., credit card transactions and preventing fraud.
- We may also share your data with our advertising partners, as set out in the section about Online Advertising below.
- We may reveal your personal data, including any PII you have provided to us, to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other organization if we are required to do so to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of anyone else.
Any organizations which access your data in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your data and keep to all data privacy laws that apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards.
We will not share your data with anyone else for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do this.
Some of our webpages use social plug-ins from other organizations (such as the “Meta Recommend” function, Twitter’s retweet function, Google+ function). These other organizations may receive and use personal data about your visit to our sites or apps. If you browse our site or view content on our apps, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organizations use personal data, please read their privacy policies.
You have the right to opt-out of any such transfers of your personal information.
International Data Transfers
Whenever we transfer your personal data in to or out of the European Economic Area (EEA), we ensure similar protection and put in place at least one of these safeguards:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been found to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data.
- We may also use specific approved contracts with our service providers that are based in countries outside the EEA. These contracts give your personal data the same protection it has in the EEA.
- Where we use service providers in the United States, we may transfer personal data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield scheme, which requires them to provide a similar level of protection of your personal data to what is required in the EEA.
If you are located in the EEA, you may contact us for a copy of the safeguards which we have put in place for the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
Other Important Rights You Have
Greater Good Charities will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the rights identified in this policy, unless otherwise permitted by applicable law.
GCC uses the so-called "Meta Pixel" of the social network "Meta" for the following purposes:
Meta (website) Custom Audiences
We use the Meta Pixel for remarketing purposes to be able to contact you again within 180 days. This allows us to display interest-based advertisements ("Meta Ads") to users of the website when they visit the social network "Meta" or other websites also using this tool. In this way, we pursue the interest in displaying advertisements that are of interest to you about our non-profit activity.
We also use the Meta Pixel to ensure that our Meta Ads match the potential interest of users and are not annoying. With the help of the Meta Pixel, we can track the effectiveness of Meta ads for statistical and market research purposes by seeing whether users were redirected to our website after clicking on a Meta ad (so-called "conversion").
The processing of this data by Meta takes place within the framework of Meta's data policy. Special information and details about the Meta Pixel and its functionality can also be found in the Meta help area.
How We May Contact You
From time to time we may send you service emails, for example, telling you your program participation is coming to an end or thanking you when you contribute to GGC’s programs.
Marketing communications and editorial newsletters
If we have your permission, we may send you materials we think may interest you, such as new GGC programs and updates. Depending on your marketing preferences, this may be by email, phone, SMS or post.
We offer a range of newsletters. You can manage your subscription to these emails through your profile page when you are signed in to your various internet and social media accounts.
You can decide not to receive these emails at any time and will be able to “unsubscribe” directly by clicking a link in the emails you receive.
Sometimes we may contact you for market research purposes, for example about a survey. You can opt out from being contacted in this way by managing your email preferences here.
Responding to your queries or complaints
If you have raised a query or a complaint with us, we may contact you to answer your query or to resolve your complaint.
Cookies and Similar Technology
When you visit our sites or when you use our apps, we may collect personal data from you automatically using cookies or similar technology. A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognize and remember you.
To opt out of cookie tracking, please click the button at the top of this page.
Advertising on our sites that is based on cookies and similar technology
We use personalized online advertising on our sites. This allows us to deliver more relevant advertising to people who visit our sites and those of our program partners. It works by showing you relevant information based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our sites and apps. It then shows you that information we believe may interest you.
When you browse our sites or participate in our programs, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are advertising cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests. For instance, if you have a particular area of interest such as homelessness or animal welfare, we may show you focused information on these topics.
We do not collect or use information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number for personalized online advertising.
Advertising That We Place On Our Sites or Other Sites
We also use personalized online advertising to promote our own programs and services. This means that you may see advertising for our programs and services on our sites (and our other platforms, such as social media) and when you are on other, third party websites, including social media platforms.
Your Rights With Regard to the Personal Data That We Hold About You
You can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- If you would like to have a copy of the personal data we hold on you or if you think that we hold incorrect personal data about you, please write to the Data Privacy, Greater Good Charities, 600 University St., Suite 1000, Seattle, WA, 98101. We will usually respond to requests for copies of your personal data or for correction of your personal data within one month. If your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests, it may take us longer. We will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. You will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive.
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time.
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. Where applicable, you have the right to object to processing of your personal data for certain purposes.
- If you do not want us to use your personal data for marketing analysis, you can opt-out of cookies by clicking the button at the top of this page and opt-out of email communication and advertising here.
If you want to make any of these requests, please contact email@example.com.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, if you live in California and your business relationship with us is mainly for personal, family or household purposes, you may ask us about the information we release to other organizations for their marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for California privacy information” in the subject line. You may make this type of request once every calendar year. We will email you a list of categories of personal data we revealed to other organizations for their marketing purposes in the last calendar year, along with their names and addresses. Not all personal data shared in this way is covered by Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code.
Contact Us for Information About How We Use Your Personal Data
If you have any questions about how we use your personal data or if you have a concern about how your personal data is used, please contact the email@example.com Complaints will be dealt with by Greater Good Charities’ legal department and will be responded to within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with the way your concern has been handled, you can refer your complaint to the relevant regulator’s office.
If you have a question about anything else, please see our Contact us page here: https://greatergood.org/contact-us